People engage in therapy for a wide variety of reasons and each individuals experience of therapy is unique. The therapeutic relationship that is developed gently over time with your therapist is a vital part of the process, as you become more comfortable sharing and communicating your thoughts, fears & feelings. Making a commitment to this process and preparing for your sessions is the key to getting the most out of therapy. Here are some more of our therapists suggestions;
- Be prepared to talk about yourself.
- Identify your main reasons for attending therapy.
- Think about what you would like to get out of each session.
- Take time to reflect on your previous session.
- Be open to exploring and finding new ways of thinking or dealing with your situation.
- Become aware of your thoughts and feelings between each session.
- Identify anything that you feel reluctant to tell your therapist and try not to withhold information.
- Be as open and honest as possible.
- Make time around each session so that you are not rushing in or out of your appointment.
- Complete any homework that was agreed and take some time to prepare for each session.
Making a commitment to the therapeutic process and preparing for sessions is the key to getting the most out of therapy.
To find out more about our private confidential counselling and psychotherapy services in Dublin & Kildare visit our website http://www.addictivebehaviours.ie